Notices

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    ginger beer plant 
    Hi
    Does anyone have a recipe for ginger beer? How do you make the plant?

We're in Wollongong. Does anyone have a plant that you can share?
    jane

2. Collapse Details

I love Ginger Beer, I've tried this 'plant' with some sucess.
    Also I make a beutiful Elderflower Champaigne, let me know i'll dig out receipe.
    This is recepie for Ginger beer,i just got it ofline. works for me could work for you.

You need:

50g fresh bakers yeast
    300ml water
    2tsp ground ginger
    2tsp sugar
    Method:

Start a Ginger Beer plant by placing 50g of fresh bakers yeast in a jar with about 300ml of water, 2 teaspoons of ground ginger and 2 teaspoons of sugar.

Feed the plant each day for the next 7 days by adding one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of ground ginger.

Strain the mixture through fine muslin (keep the sediment) and reserve the liquid. Dissolve 450g of sugar in 600ml of boiling water. When cool, add the juice of two lemons and the reserved liquid and make up the volume to 4½ litres.

Bottle, keep for one week, then, either drink quickly or keep refrigerated as it tends to become livelier with age.

Restart the plant by dividing the sediment into two parts and placing each half into a jar with 300ml of water. You now have two plants to feed as above. If one plant is enough, give one away
    'The best fertilizer is the gardener's shadow.'
    Masanobu Fukuoka

'People thought I was talking about gardens - few realised we were selling the softest form of total revolution. Self-reliance is seditious.'
    Bill Mollison.

3. Collapse Details

Do you want to make hard (alcoholic) ginger beer or soft (very low alcohol - around 0.5%) Jane?

How much fridge storage space can you devote to ginger beer (say in terms of quantity of 1.25ltr plastic bottles or beer bottles)?
    The real path to natural farming requires that a person know what unaltered nature is, so that he or she can instinctively understand what needs to be done—and what must not be done—to work in harmony with its processes. - Masanobu Fukuoka

4. Collapse Details

THANKS pULSE

I MADE UP YOUR RECEPIE WITH SOME SUCCESS, BUT ALSO WE NOW SPORT A HOLE IN THE wall as one bottle blew itself up.

This has stopped our production for the time.

thank you for your replies
    jane
    jane

5. Collapse Details

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

God that is such a reminder of my past....we had to stop ginger beer production when my step dad nearly lost an eye from exploding bottles....mum was so pissed off at always cleaning up the sticky mess....I love the flavour but the volatility of the beast is just too scarey!

Bummer Jane....

6. Collapse Details

Hi Jane,
    I bottle my ginger beer in 2 litre soft drink bottles and so far (over two years) have not had an explosion. My current batch was bottled on the 18th of March and I do not refrigerate until I open a bottle. ( I try to wait at least three weeks) My recipe is very similar to the previous one mentioned and although I use less yeast it is very effervescent. If you would like more info. I can email my recipe.
    Regards,
    Maree

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jane
    THANKS pULSE

I MADE UP YOUR RECEPIE WITH SOME SUCCESS, BUT ALSO WE NOW SPORT A HOLE IN THE wall as one bottle blew itself up.

This has stopped our production for the time.

thank you for your replies
    jane

Well Jane, I could have prevented you from having that experience if you'd responded to my questions above. :wink:
    The real path to natural farming requires that a person know what unaltered nature is, so that he or she can instinctively understand what needs to be done—and what must not be done—to work in harmony with its processes. - Masanobu Fukuoka

8. Collapse Details

Jez,
    Can u give me some info. on making hard ginger beer. I really like my low alcohol stuff and would continue to make this (I have kids), but I would also like to attempt to make some alcoholic ginger beer. I assume I would need to buy a fermenter?; but could you tell me what other equipment, etc. that I would need. Would be very grateful for any info/advice.
    Kindest regards,
    Maree

9. Collapse Details

Sure, no problem Maree, I'm a bit strapped for time tonight but I'll get to it over the next couple of days - check back soon.

10. Collapse Details

Thanks heaps, Jez. No hurry at all - whenever will do. Have recently retired (early) to care for disabled twins and am having lots of fun trying to make all the things I didn't have time for., eg., yoghurt, cheese, etc. Am having great success - beginner's luck, no doubt - lol - I LOVE this site!
    Thanks again,
    Regards,
    Maree